Hello all! I hope all is well since the last time that I posted. I can't believe that August is almost over, the months just seem to fly by. Over the weekend I participated in Women's Paddling Camp, it was a bunch of Outward Bound women who got together to spend some time on a few different rivers and develop skills. The first day we were on the Tuckaseegee, I made my first attempt at white water kayaking. It was fun but I won't lie, I was a bit on the nervous side. There is something about being trapped inside a boat with the possibility of being trapped under water upside down that is a bit disconcerting. Anyways I made it :) That night we drove to the Nantahala to get ready for day 2 of paddling the next day. Since we were all off course we decided not to camp and slept in the van instead, just because. Although we had a heck of a time getting the seats in order as the back seat was strapped to itself with the seat belt and just kept getting tighter and tighter, one of those times where people are laughing uncontrollably and strying to lift up a seat and unbuckle the belt at the same time. Ok, so day 2 I paddled a canoe because the Nany is really REALLY cold and being in a kayak wouldn't be that great. It was a good day, we basically just practiced skills because it is a bit of an easier river and has some good places to ferry and eddy and what not. There was also a national canoe race going on that day so we got to watch some of the best boaters in the country go through a slalom course (basically a ton of manuevering and very impressive). That night we drove again to another river about 2 hours away to get ready for day 3 and yet again the van gave us a beck of a time. The interior lights wouldn't go off so we busted out the manual and Maggie was telling me things like turn the headlamp switch all the way clockwise and toggle the reset button 10 times in 60 seconds, it was hilarious! When we woke up it was pouring rain so, yet again being off course, we didn't have to get wet if we didn't want to. Therefore we decided to raft the French Broad instead of canoe it which was much faster. I got to guide the raft for a bit (which I've always wanted to do) so I was completely pumped! Overall it was a fun three days! I'm back at work today, actually in the airport right now waiting for students to get on their flights. There is a big shindig going on tonight with festive beverages and what not, I'm pretty pumped. There aren't ANY students on base tonight so it could be entertaining. I'll give an update after that :)
Hope all is well. Talk to you all soon. Keep sending updates.
Cheers and hugs
J
Monday, August 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment